UPCOMING COURSES & WORKSHOPS
GIFTED PSYCHOLOGY 101
STARING IN EARLY 2020 (ONLINE)
This is an online training course for coaches, therapists, psychiatrists and other helping professionals who want to specialize in, or have better tools for, supporting gifted clients. It is a combination course which allows space for your own growth and reflection as a gifted person and gifted professional, while providing you with the theoretical knowledge, practical insight, case studies, and peer feedback to start your gifted-specific practice or bring your existing practice to a whole new level.
There are two versions of this course, given by InterGifted's founding director Jennifer Harvey Sallin: a 12-session version for coaches or to-be coaches who are not trained in psychology, and a 6-session version for psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals already trained in basic psychology. For both courses, sessions are monthly and include modules and homework (each of which require about 10 hours of preparation time), and a certificate is provided at completion.
To read about what past participants have shared about how the course was helpful to them and to their practice, visit our testimonials page.
This course is for coaches or to-be coaches who are not trained in psychology. In 12 sessions, we cover the following themes, all from a gifted-specific point of view:
- The Benefits of and Difference Between Coaching, Mentoring + Therapy for Gifted Individuals
- The Gifted Brain, Giftedness Identification & Levels, Twice- and Multi-Exceptionality
- Recognizing Psychopathology Misdiagnosis in Gifted Clients
- Personality Development Models, including Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration
- Trauma + Trauma Healing, including Gifted-Specific Trauma
- Family Dynamics + Relationships, including Giftedness in Families
- Common Therapeutic Models & Therapeutic Dynamics
- Personal + Spiritual Development
- Career Psychology, including Common Gifted & Multipotentialite Dilemmas
- Positive Psychology + Promoting Mental Health
This course is for psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, counselors, social workers or any helping professional who already has training in at-least basic psychology or a related field. In 6 sessions, it focuses in on these gifted-specific themes:
Recognizing giftedness in clients
- How to recognize and evaluate giftedness, giftedness levels, and unique giftedness profiles
- How to bring up and address giftedness with a client
- How to overcome resistance to the idea
- Resources for client self-discovery inside and outside of therapy
Most common problem areas for gifted clients
- Social troubles
- Lack of peers
- Lack of recognition
- Romantic relational troubles
- Trauma / Complex Trauma
- Twice-exceptionality, Misdiagnoses + most common gifted/psychopathology overlaps
- How to best guide and support + resources
Therapeutic dynamics with gifted clients
- How to fully engage with gifted clients
- How to handle the overexcitabilities and intensity in sessions
- How to handle differences in giftedness levels between psychologist and client
- How to have good boundaries and when to use self-disclosure with gifted clients
- How to work with client when the psychologist is triggered by his/her own gifted issues
- When to see breakdown as positive disintegration, and when to see it as "clinical"; how to best help in both cases
- How therapy, coaching and mentoring can all help a gifted client, and when each is appropriate
- Common therapeutic trajectories for clients and how to help them transition from therapy to other forms of support
- Client drop out and how to maintain engagement
Gifted personal & career development
- Common gifted career dilemmas and how to approach them
- Helpful resources for gifted career exploration
- Giftedness and creativity
- Giftedness and spirituality/religion
- Tools of positive psychology for gifted self-development
Understanding & working with special populations
- Children, teens & adults
- Prison populations
- Twice-exceptional clients
INDIVIDUAL STUDY & PRIVATE MENTORING:
There is also an individual-study option for both of these courses which includes individualized mentoring for where you are in your therapeutic or coaching practice. There is currently a waiting list for these sessions, but you can email Jen to express your interest and get on her wait list.
Cost & Logistics:
We meet on the Zoom.us video conferencing platform for two hour sessions, and dates/times are determined together with the participants. The cost of each course session is 250 CHF. Individual sessions are billed at Jen's hourly rate of 250 CHF per hour and typically last 1.5 to 2 hours.
To express your interest in participating in this course, email Jen with your professional background and reasons for wanting to join the course: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jen will work with you to determine your fit for the course, and will provide details for registration.
About Jennifer Harvey Sallin
Jennifer is founding director of InterGifted and is a psychologist, coach and mentor who specializes in providing training and mentoring for gifted coaches and other helping professionals who support the gifted; in performing giftedness assessments; and in mentoring profoundly gifted adults. She writes extensively on giftedness and self-development and you can find her articles here on InterGifted’s blog and on her own blog at Rediscovering Yourself. She is based in Switzerland and works with gifted adults throughout the world. Learn more about Jen here.
GIFTED MEN'S GROUP
STARTING DECEMBER 14, 2019 (ONLINE)
- moving things collectively that we can't move alone
- creating a space to be heard in one's unique challenges and sense of meaning as a gifted man
- to have access to reflections from other gifted men
- transforming the restrictive "normative culture" mold of what it means to be a man, and a gifted man at that
- developing relational skills as a man
- the path to healthy self-empowerment
If the group setting or the timing doesn't work for you, Merlin also offers self-leadership coaching and mentoring for gifted men on an individual basis. You can email him to inquire about working with him.
Cost & Logistics:
The group is starting December 14th, and will continue for six months meeting once a month on the second Saturday of every month at 3pm CET. The cost of each session is 100 euros. We meet on the Zoom.us video conferencing platform for two hour sessions.
Registration closes on December 7th. To express your interest in participating in this group, email Merlin with your background and reasons for wanting to join the group: email@example.com. Merlin will work with you to determine your fit for the course, and will provide details for registration.
About Merlin Györy
Merlin is a coach and community leader in InterGifted. A passionate creator and gifted multipotentialite, he coaches and mentors gifted and twice-/multi-exceptional adults in the development of their creativity, the evolution of their inner and outer transformation, and the discovery of their superpowers and strengths. Additionally, he specializes in supporting gifted men, partners of gifted men, and gifted couples in creating constructive, generative connection. As an InterGifted assessor, he provides qualitative giftedness assessments to adults. He is based in Germany and works with clients around the world - learn more about him here.
RECURRING WORKSHOPS, GROUPS & COURSES
Email us to get on the waiting list for future offerings
LEGITIMIZING YOUR GIFTED NEEDS
This workshop with InterGifted coach and community leader Karin Eglinton is all about taking inventory of and legitimizing your gifted needs. Since gifted people are often told that their standards are too high and unrealistic by others who don't understand that gifted people have uncommon needs, this may lead them to deny or judge their own needs and try to live without getting them met. In addition to the material presented, there's an emphasis on interaction and learning through each other's experiences. These sessions hold rich, thoughtful and insightful discussions with your gifted peers and have sparked major insights and life changes for many of our participants.
This workshop helps you look at:
- how your gifted-specific needs have been minimized or unmet by others (and maybe sometimes yourself!)
- how you can get a better understanding of these uncommon needs
- how you can get these uncommon needs met in a non-gifted dominant world
- how you can better communicate your gifted needs so that others can respond in positive ways.
Karin also offers gifted needs legitimization coaching & support for gifted people on an individual basis. If you're interested in exploring the possibilities with her, or getting on the wait list for our next offering of this workshop, email her.
This four-part course with InterGifted Coach & Mentor gets to the heart of relational issues for gifted people. Many of us struggle to feel connected and to form the kind of meaningful social and romantic relationships we deeply desire. This comes as a result of multiple factors: our intensity and complexity may be misinterpreted and misunderstood and we may lack the kind of mirroring we need to understand ourselves well enough to know how and with whom we could truly connect. In this course, relational issues will be turned “inside out” as we explore the dynamics of self-relationship, and apply the tools of self-validation and non-violence to our inner worlds. With a positive self-relationship as a foundation, we then shift our focus to the external world to explore how you can cultivate a supportive ecosystem of connection, and how to refine your relational skills so you can bridge gaps of difference with others in your life. Learn more about the course in the course overview: wholeness-based-relating-module-overview
Part 1: The Relationship with Self
Part 2: Cultivating our Relational Ecosystem
Part 3: How Connection Fuels Maturity + Development
Part 4: Communication, Negotiation and Agreements
Karin is also available for individualized coaching and mentoring for gifted adults working on relational issues and building up their self-validation and relational skills, so if you'd be interested in exploring either joining her next course or working with her in private coaching, email us!
About Karin Eglinton
Karin is a mentor, coach and teacher for gifted adolescents and adults. Guided by holistic and systemic principles, she supports her clients in their full, emergent unfolding. In individual sessions, courses and workshops, she helps clients and students discover how they can weave the gifted cognition into concrete, creative action, harness their potential, and thrive in the world. She is based in Germany and works with clients around the world.
MEDITATION FOR GIFTED ADULTS: A PRIMER WORKSHOP
Many gifted and twice-/multi-exceptional people are using meditation as a way of managing their overexcitabilities, getting to know their unique minds, and finding more wisdom, authenticity, and joy in the gifted experience. For beginners, however, the field of meditation and mindfulness can be quite confusing ― mindfulness has become a buzz-word used in a variety of ways; there’s a myriad of meditation apps, courses, and traditions to choose from; and many approaches do not provide the framework, mirroring, and depth/breadth of information that most gifted people need for their unique understanding and experience.
- Understanding mindfulness theory and skills as they relate to giftedness
- Learning core meditation techniques and how they transform common gifted challenges ― personally, such as hyper-/hypo-focus, non-stop thinking, and overwhelming emotions, as well as relationally
- Gaining insight into and acceptance of the unique workings of your gifted mind
- Identifying common gifted challenges and opportunities in meditation, as well as ways to customize your personal practice
Who is the workshop for?
GIFTED MINDFULNESS FOUNDATIONS
This is an immersive 6-week live online course which combines weekly group instruction and practice sessions, personal practice, community practice & individual mindfulness coaching for anyone starting or getting ready to deepen their understanding of a gifted-specific mindfulness practice. Themes covered in the course include:
- Understanding mindfulness within the context of the gifted brain
- Learning core techniques for strengthening attention + inner stability and disentangling intensity
- Working skillfully with difficult feelings common to gifted people using core techniques and somatic experiencing
- Cultivating wise compassion for self and sustainable compassion for others
- (Re)discovering intimacy with and authenticity of the gifted self
- Cultivating positive mind states that foster creativity, flow and intuition
We meet as a group for 2 - 2.5 hours each week to explore and practice gifted-specific instruction, tools and techniques together, with plenty of room for discussion and connection with your gifted peers. After each session, you receive a link to download a guided audio version of the meditation practice from that week’s meeting so you can continue to cultivate your practice throughout the week. Between sessions, Kelly also offers two live meditations each week (guided + unguided) to deepen your practice and test out concepts from the course. You can join these live or tune in to the recording at your convenience.
During the 6 weeks, you have free access to a private online community moderated by Kelly to ask questions, share reflections, get support for your practice, and continue connection with your peers. And beginning in Week 2 through to the end of Week 5, Kelly holds “office hours” for anyone who would like one-on-one support with their practice.
In order to ensure a personalized, interactive experience, space is limited to 10 participants. This course is content-, practice- and insight-rich and has been transformative for many of our participants (see what past participants have said here). Note: Previous mindfulness experience is not required to participate. This course is trauma-informed and complements (but does not replace) psychotherapy, counselling, or medical care for mental health issues or trauma recovery. Please discuss this course with your health care provider before registering.
Kelly also offers mindfulness coaching & mentoring for gifted people on an individual basis. If you're interested in exploring the possibilities with her, or getting on the wait list for our next offering of this course, email her.
EMBODIED MINDFULNESS FOR GIFTED PEOPLE
- Resourcing strategies for supporting overexcitabilities and the healing of gifted shame + trauma
- Understanding the neurobiology of the gifted mind-body connection
- Harnessing your innate capacity for growth, healing and wholeness
- Developing embodied boundaries; feeling more grounded and self aware to navigate relational challenges common to gifted people
- Cultivating embodied intuition along with deeper joy and authenticity of gifted living
Kelly also offers mindfulness coaching & support for gifted people on an individual basis. If you're interested in exploring the possibilities with her or getting on the wait list for our next offering of this course, email Kelly.
About Kelly Pryde, Ph.D.
Kelly is a neuropsychologist, coach and mentor specializing in giftedness and mindfulness-based approaches to living well with intensity. She lives in Canada and works with people of all ages to help them support their unique inner experience and thrive. Kelly is the founder of the Gifted Mindfulness Collective ― an InterGifted partner project. Feel free to get in touch with her to schedule a session!
GIFTED MULTIPOTENTIALITES GROUP
This 6-month group course with Marion Kee addresses the challenges and opportunities that come with being a gifted multipotentialite. Being a person with a fast mind, extreme curiosity, and lots of areas of skill and passion brings its own unique flavor to life and can be challenging in careers, school, relationships and even for self-image. This is due to being in a world where being a multipotentialite can be misunderstood as "lacking focus", "being unable to choose one thing", or other such judgments. This course explores these issues and tackles them one by one, in the setting of a group of peers (and a facilitator) who all know exactly what it's like to struggle and to want to thrive as a gifted multipotentialite. Each monthly session incorporates a reading-in-advance and a Q&A/group discussion based on that session's theme. The atmosphere is a cooperative, engaged group of dedicated individuals excited to make progress in their lives.
You can learn more about the course content on our Gifted Multipotentialites Course Syllabus 2019
- Understanding multipotentiality (looking at the research, resources on giftedness and creativity)
- Career/job/school issues as a gifted multipotentialite; expectations, achievement and moving on
- The challenges of multipotentiality in relationships and family life; communication and negotiation
- Keeping a positive self-image in a world that doesn’t necessarily understand the gifted multipotential path and value; understanding our needs, honoring and accommodating the drive to develop
- Envisioning and shaping a balanced and fulfilling life as a gifted multipotentialite
- Next steps, practical considerations, planning for ongoing support, suggestions for further reading
Marion also offers multipotentialite and career coaching & mentoring for gifted people on an individual basis. If you're interested in exploring the possibilities with her or getting on the wait list for our next offering of this course, email Marion.
About Marion Kee
Marion is a profoundly gifted multipotentialite who has worked in a variety of fields throughout her professional life including research computer science and teaching philosophy in academia - always with writing and music having strong place in her life. As an InterGifted coach and mentor, she now supports other gifted youth and adults who are building or navigating their own creative careers and unique life mosaic. She is based in the US and works with clients all over the world. Feel free to get in touch!
GIFTED WRITERS WORKSHOP
- Understanding the writing process for gifted people
- Developing a unique, truthful writer’s voice
- Finding inspiration, everywhere
- Experimenting with structure, language, style, and perspective
- Selecting one’s readers and communicating with them
- Submitting writing to a public, including autobiographic writing
- Giving & receiving constructive feedback
Jan also offers writing support for gifted writers on an individual basis. If you're interested in exploring the possibilities with him or to get on the waiting list for the next offering of this course, email us.
About Jan Provoost
Jan is highly gifted, an introverted multipotentialite who has writing and reading among his many passions. As a professional science writer, he reports on technological advances in such varied domains as artificial intelligence, neuro-electronics and solar cells. In private, his writing and reading also include mystery and beauty, the past and future, autobiography and memory, the color blue, and more. He's currently working toward becoming a public speaker and climate change activist. As an InterGifted Writing Coach, he supports gifted writers to develop their content and unique writing voice. Jan is based in Leuven, Belgium and works with writers all over the world. Feel free to reach out!